Congratulations Graduates, you did it! After years of hard work, you are now a college graduate! Go forth and make the world a better place! Below is an overview of 2018 University Commencement Ceremony.
For ALL Commencement Ceremony information click here.
For Graduates: COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY INFORMATION
Saturday, May 19, 2018
2650 E. Shaw Avenue, Fresno, CA
- There is NO REHEARSAL for this event; read the following information carefully.
- NO REGISTRATION OR TICKETS REQUIRED for graduates and guests
University Commencement Ceremony Timeline
- Doors open for guest seating: 8 a.m.
- Graduates arrive for line-up: 8 a.m.
- Processional starts: 9:30 a.m.
- Ceremony starts: 10 a.m.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL GRADUATION EXPERIENCE
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking down the Save Mart Center loading dock ramp.
- Leave all personal belongings – except regalia – with guests.
- Arrive at the loading dock with graduation robe in hand. Once admitted to the assembly area you will put on your robe.
- No open beverages or containers are allowed in assembly area; water is available throughout the line-up area.
- Celebrate your accomplishments with friends and family safely and responsibly. Sign the Safe Celebrating pledge online at http://bit.ly/FSSafeCelebrating
- Review the Commencement Expectations with your fellow graduates and guests.
|8-8:30 a.m.||Graduate Arrival|| Graduates assemble in the loading dock at the Save Mart Center (northeast side of building, closest to Chestnut Ave.). Students who have mobility concerns may use the elevator inside the northeast corner of the arena.
Once admitted, you will put on your robe; it must be worn throughout the procession and ceremony.
Undergraduate candidates: The cap is worn squarely on the head with the point in the middle of the forehead, tassel on the RIGHT side of the mortarboard.
Graduate candidates: Position your tassel on the LEFT side of the mortarboard.
|8:30-9:30 a.m.||Graduate Line-Up and Entering|| Line-up behind the sign designating your college or school.
Order of Procession: Dean’s Medal recipients and Bachelor’s candidates by college (in two lines) will be followed by Master’s and Doctoral candidates, then faculty, and then the President’s Platform Party.
Last chance for restroom break prior to the ceremony.
|9:30 a.m.||Graduate Processional|| At the proper signal, graduates will follow the marshals and process into the arena.
Stand directly in front of your seat. When the entire row is full, you may be seated.
Please stand when the President’s Platform Party enters (after all graduates and faculty are seated).
|10:00 a.m.||Ceremony|| Graduates and guests to remain seated for the entire ceremony.
Undergraduate candidates will be recognized by college/school first. The Dean of your college or school will tell you when to stand as a group during the ceremony.
When President Castro confers all the undergraduate degrees, candidates are to stand and move their tassel to the LEFT side of the mortarboard.
Master’s degree candidates will then be presented, and their degrees conferred.
Doctoral candidates will process across the stage.
|11:30 a.m.||Recessional|| Please stand for the recessional. The President’s Platform Party exits first, followed by faculty.
After faculty have exited, graduates and guests are free to leave the building on your own. Meet your party outside the building.
Seating and Accessibility:
- Arena doors open for guest seating at 8 a.m. Seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Guests may sit anywhere in the arena except on the floor and in lower section 103 (reserved for graduates). To select seats for best viewing, guests should confirm their graduate’s College/School affiliation and reference the following seating chart
- Seating for guests in wheelchairs is available throughout the arena. Due to limited space, only one person is permitted to accompany a person in a wheelchair.
- Ushers will direct guests with difficulty climbing stairs to the northwest elevator to access seating areas from the arena floor. Following the ceremony, these guests may exit using the arena floor elevator.
- The first row of Section 111 is designated for guests with special hearing needs
- Graduates who have mobility concerns may use the elevator inside the northeast corner of the arena.
- Designate a meeting place for graduates and their guests outside the arena following the ceremonies. Guests are not permitted on the floor at any time.
- Graduates may not bring personal items including coats, purses, bags, backpacks into the arena. Please leave all belongings – except regalia – with guests.
- Save Mart Center restrictions. Do not bring:
- Beach balls, helium balloons, and projectiles
- Air horns
- Laser pointers
- Outside food, drinks, cans, bottles or containers of any kind
- Tobacco, drugs, alcohol
- Fireworks and weapons
- Additional Save Mart Center Visitor Information can be found at http://savemartcenter.com/visitor-information/
- Guests are welcome to take photographs from their seats throughout the event. Photographers from GradImages will be taking photos of graduates at the assembly area and will be available for purchase after the event.
- Diplomas will be mailed to student’s permanent address.
Merchandise and Sales
- The concession stands in the arena will be open for water and soft drink purchases only.
- Flower bouquets and fresh leis will be for sale at merchandise sites throughout the arena.
- Alumni gear will also be available for sale in the atrium on Commencement day or at the Kennel Bookstore.
- For graduates, regalia items will be available for sale in the assembly area for last-minute needs.
But most of all, congratulations on your accomplishment! Go ‘Dogs!